It’s the age-old family vacation conundrum: keeping the kids from getting bored, and the adults from being run ragged. So how do you make the whole family happy, together?
A Disney Time survey found that the family that vacations together feels closer together, reporting experiencing excitement, relaxation and even silliness.
And Expedia recently conducted a study finding that 76% of parents found family vacations to be worth the extra planning, packing and general exhaustion.
In case you’re wondering, it IS possible to get the vacation of your dreams (and make the kids happy too!).
Welcome to the Virgin Islands, the place where you can have it all.
Imagine soaking up refreshingly tranquil time in the sun, adult beverage in hand, to the tune of soft waves and swaying palm trees – all while the kids explore, snorkel and splash.
But wait – there’s more. Many, many more ways to enjoy the VI with kids.
We’ve combed over the U.S. and British Virgin Islands to bring you the best of the best, the zaniest family-friendly activities to liven up your tropical getaway. (Show it to the kids – trust us, they’re going to love it.)
Here they are, the 10 craziest (family-friendly) things to do in the Virgin Islands:
- Go on a treetop zip lining adventure. Take in a breath-stopping treetop canopy views over the jungles of St. Thomas.
- Slide down an ice slide – in the tropics. Escape the heat for a couple hours with a snow and ice adventure at St. Thomas’s Magic Ice exhibition.
- Race your own hermit crab on St. Croix. Many of the local restaurants and resorts host races. Be sure to watch for the amazing husband-and-wife 20-year racing team, Tito and Sue, for loads of good laughs.
- See a cultural icon: mocko jumbies. (Translation: Stilt walkers!) The jumbies are great about interacting with kids. Celebrate this 200-year old VI tradition with a rich history that heralds back to Africa. Spot their brightly colored costumes at parades, carnivals, shows and resorts of St. Croix.
- Go turtle tagging in Tortola. Have an aspiring scientist? Become a turtle researcher for the day with the conservation program of the BVI. Help make a difference: Assist a marine biologist, go power-snorkeling in remote areas and get hands-on interaction with the turtles.
- Check out the Coral People and other visitor-created coral sculptures. Hit up Drunk Bay Trail’s rocky beach and make your own creative addition to the art.
- Pencil in an unscheduled donkey encounter. Come see the free-roaming wild donkeys wandering around St. John. They’re all over the island, and the back story is pretty cool: After the plantation days, sugar mills released all the donkeys, leaving them forever free to roam the island.
- Go on a family-friendly boating expedition. The Virgin Islands are best explored with a private boat charter at your beck and call. Look for a boat rental commanded by a native captain who can build a custom itinerary to fit your family’s interests and ages.
- Catch a movie under the stars on the Water Island’s Honeymoon Beach. Enjoy intoxicating nightlife at its finest at Heidi’s Honeymoon Grill. Breathe in the nighttime sand and surf and take in a Monday night movie under the coconut trees. It’s time to make Monday nights right again.
- Raising a NASA enthusiast? Get a private tour of St. Croix’s very long base array telescope. One of ten in the world, this dish explores quasars, radio galaxies and black holes – oh my! (Just be sure to arrange an appointment in advance.)
It’s time to think outside the box. This year, get fun for the whole family in the Virgin Islands. There’s always something exciting happening here – it’s time to join the experience.
This post is brought to you by Sonic Charters St. Thomas Boat Rental.
At Sonic Charters, our goal is simple: to ensure that your visit to the U.S. and British Virgin Islands is greater than you ever dreamed. Whether you want to swim with the vibrant fish of the reef, kick back on a white sandy beach accessible only by boat, or party it up out on a tranquil bay, we have exactly the rental or charter for you. For $100 off a Luxury Sea Ray Sundancer rental, use Coupon Code: FAMILY17