CAPITAL San José
AREA 51,100 sq km
CURRENCY Costa Rican colón (CRC)
For current information regarding health, recommended vaccines and the location of trustworthy doctors and medical clinics, please refer to the International Association for Medical Assistance to Travellers website.
- 3 star hotel: $90
- 4 star hotel: $150
- 5 star hotel: NA
- Inexpensive restaurant: $7
- Meal for 2, mid-range restaurant, 3 courses: $36.09
- Outdoor and Adventure
- Romance and Honeymoon
- Animal encounter
- Costa Rica tops world rankings of happiest nations.
- About 90% of Central America’s butterfly species live in Costa Rica.
- The Costa Rican zebra tarantula has black and white stripes, and it can grow to more than 4in.
- The giant anteater eats up to 30,000 insects every day.
- Costa Ricans love to eat “spotted rooster”, which is actually a dish of fried rice and red beans.
- Costa Rica is very peaceful: it got rid of its army in 1949.
- Scientists think about 500,000 different species of animals live in Costa Rica, including 300,000 different types of insects and about 2,000 different kinds of spiders.