AREA 103,000 sq km
CURRENCY Icelandic króna (ISK)
For current information regarding health, recommended vaccines and the location of trustworthy doctors and medical clinics, please refer to the International Association for Medical Assistance to Travellers website.
- 3 star hotel: $200
- 4 star hotel: $250
- 5 star hotel: NA
- Inexpensive restaurant: $12.98
- Meal for 2, mid-range restaurant, 3 courses: $81.90
- Outdoor and Adventure
- Architecture and History
- Road trip
- Reykjavik is world’s most northern capital. It is located 1,786 miles from the North Pole.
- Vik Beach is covered in volcanic black sand and flat black stones and pebbles.
- You can eat Hákarl in Iceland: fermented flesh of a shark that has been buried in the ground for 3 months, and then dried for 6 months before it is eaten.
- Some clams living in the icy waters off Iceland are more than 400 years old.
- Hverir is one of the smelliest places in the world: it is where the center of the Earth is trying to force its way to the surface. It is full of steaming holes in the ground, weird rocks, surfurous puddles and stinky mud pools.
- In winter, it’s dark in Iceland for all but a few hours each day.
- Glaciers cover more than 10% of Iceland. Many of them are volcanoes.