CAPITAL New Delhi
AREA 3,287,263 sq km
LANGUAGES Hindi, English, Bengali, Telugu, Marathi, Tamil, Urdu, Gujarati, Malayalam, Kannada, Oriya, Punjabi, Assamese, Kashmiri, Sindhi and Sanskrit
CURRENCY Indian Rupee (INR)
For current information on government travel advice, please refer to the U.S. Passports & International travel, the Canadian Travel Advice and Advisories, the Foreign & Commonwealth Office or the Australian Department of Foreign Affaires website.
For current information regarding health, recommended vaccines and the location of trustworthy doctors and medical clinics, please refer to the International Association for Medical Assistance to Travellers website.
- 3 star hotel: $50
- 4 star hotel: $100
- 5 star hotel: $180
- Inexpensive restaurant: $1.59
- Meal for 2, mid-range restaurant, 3 courses: $7.95
230V / 50Hz
Even for the able-bodied person, India’s crowded public transport and variable infrastructure can test you. If you are mobility or vision-impaired, traveling this country can be a greater challenge.
Almost only top-end hotels offer facilities for disabled travelers. You can find accommodations suitable for wheelchair users by checking the ‘Facilities for disabled guests‘ option in your Booking.com search criteria.
Some restaurants and offices have ramps, but most tend to have at least one step. Staircases are often steep. Footpaths and pavements, where they exist, can be full of potholes, littered with debris and packed with pedestrians. If you use crutches, bring along spare rubber caps for the tips as they are likely to wear down quickly.
Hiring a car with a driver will make moving around a lot easier, and if you use a wheelchair, make sure the car-hire company can provide an appropriate vehicle to carry it.
- Outdoor and Adventure
- Food and Drinks
- Animal encounter
- Culture and Arts
- Architecture and History
- Road trip
- Sri Lanka
- There is no such thing as curry in India – the Southern Indian word kari simply means ‘fried’ or ‘sauce’
- India is one of the two largest exporter of tea with China
- India has the most post offices than any other country (over 150,000)
- The Taj Mahal in India is made entirely out of white marble
- India has over 50 million monkeys
- Some playing cards in India are round