NEED TO KNOW
AREA 377,915 sq km
CURRENCY Japanese Yen (JPY)
WHEN TO TRAVEL
For current information on government travel advice, please refer to the U.S. Passports & International travel, the Canadian Travel Advice and Advisories, the Foreign & Commonwealth Office or the Australian Department of Foreign Affaires website.
For current information regarding health, recommended vaccines and the location of trustworthy doctors and medical clinics, please refer to the International Association for Medical Assistance to Travellers website.
AVERAGE ACCOMMODATION COST ($US)
- 3 star hotel: $140
- 4 star hotel: $250
- 5 star hotel: $400
Average in the good period to travel. Rates change throughout the year depending on high or low tourist seasons.
AVERAGE MEAL COST ($US)
- Inexpensive restaurant: $7.90
- Meal for 2, mid-range restaurant, 3 courses: $39.51
100V / 50Hz/60Hz
REASONS TO VISIT
- Outdoor and Adventure
- Food and Drinks
- Culture and Arts
- Architecture and History
- Road trip
OFTEN PAIRED WITH
- Saying ‘no’ is considered confrontational in Japan – most Japanese use the word tabun, meaning ‘maybe’, instead
- Venetian blinds were invented in Japan
- You can buy square watermelons in Japan
- Japanese people don’t have middle names
- Ocean Dome, in Miyazaki, southern Japan, is the largest indoor beach: it is 300m long and 100m wide. The perfect blue water laps onto fake sand that doesn’t stick to you like real sand.
- Japan has the second longest living expectancy in the world with 82.2 years; Andorra is first with 82.4 years.