AREA 298 sq km
CURRENCY Maldivian rufiyaa (MVR)
For current information regarding health, recommended vaccines and the location of trustworthy doctors and medical clinics, please refer to the International Association for Medical Assistance to Travellers website.
- 3 star hotel: $130
- 4 star hotel: $400
- 5 star hotel: $600
- Inexpensive restaurant: $3.27
- Meal for 2, mid-range restaurant, 3 courses: $22
- Romance and Honeymoon
- Sri Lanka
- The highest point in the Maldives is only 2.3m above sea level – if sea levels continue to rise, plans are afoot to move the entire population to a new homeland overseas.
- The Maldives is the flattest and lowest country in the world.
- The coconut palm is the national tree of the Maldives and the most important plant in the country.
- There are about 1,200 coral islands in the Maldives, and 200 have people living on them.