AREA 17,098,242 sq km
CURRENCY Russian Ruble (RUB)
For current information on government travel advice, please refer to the U.S. Passports & International travel, the Canadian Travel Advice and Advisories, the Foreign & Commonwealth Office or the Australian Department of Foreign Affaires website.
For current information regarding health, recommended vaccines and the location of trustworthy doctors and medical clinics, please refer to the International Association for Medical Assistance to Travellers website.
- 3 star hotel: $150
- 4 star hotel: $220
- 5 star hotel: $400
- Inexpensive restaurant: $12.13
- Meal for 2, mid-range restaurant, 3 courses: $45.50
220V / 50Hz
- Outdoor and Adventure
- Culture and Art
- Architecture and History
- The coldest temperature ever recorded was -89,2 deg Celsius, at Vostok Station, a Russian research station in Antarctica, on July 21, 1983
- One of Russia’s most urgent problems is its grave population decline; in response, the Kremlin has created incentives, including cash awards for families to have more children
- It takes seven days to travel along the world’s most famous continuous long-distance railway: the Trans-Siberean railway (5,772mi or 9,289km); it crosses seven time zones.
- In 1970, Russia started drilling a hole in the ground just to see what was down there. They stopped in 1989 when they got down to 40,230ft (12,262m), making it the deepest hole ever drilled into Earth. It was extremely hot down there: 356oF (180oC), and there is a lot of water and hydrogen gas.