AREA 65,610 sq km
LANGUAGE Sinhalese & Tamil
CURRENCY Sri Lankan rupee (LKR)
For current information regarding health, recommended vaccines and the location of trustworthy doctors and medical clinics, please refer to the International Association for Medical Assistance to Travellers website.
- 3 star hotel: $80
- 4 star hotel: $110
- 5 star hotel: $160
- Inexpensive restaurant: $2
- Meal for 2, mid-range restaurant, 3 courses: $16.01
230V / 50Hz
- Outdoor and Adventure
- Off the beaten path
- Sri Lanka gave the world cinnamon – the island has been trading the spice since at least 2000 BC.
- Tea has been grown in Sri Lanka for 150 years and now more than 1 million Sri Lankans work in the tea industry.
- World’s End is a 2,854ft sheer cliff, and one of Sri Lankan most famous landmarks.
- The world’s biggest fruit that grows on a tree, one single jackfruit can weigh as much as 55lb. It has spiny skin, an egg-shaped seed, and sour pulp.
- Sri Lanka was called Ceyon until 1972.